Sunday 7 February 2016

Bagel Time

Before I start I wanted to share this picture of the beautiful sky that I was looking at last Sunday from my hammock on deck 7.

Today was one of those days where I felt like there was no point in blogging. I looked at my last post and saw that only 31 people took the time to look at what I wrote. I had to remind myself that the number doesn't matter. Even if one person is interested, I will write for them. I am questioning whether you really want to hear about my bagel making but that was my Saturday excitement and that is what I have to share. I could share about my crazy emotional exhausting Friday full of ups and downs but that might be a little too much information because you never know who might be reading. So bagels it is...



At this point it is unclear to me whether it was worth all the boiling and baking. There are no bagels anywhere in sight in Madagascar so I thought I would give it a go. They were fine but if I make them again I will make them with some sort of flavour,  like cinnamon raisin or garlic and cheese. I found some fennel seeds in the shared space in the crew galley so I toasted those just for a bit of flavour but they were still pretty bland. All in all they weren't that complicated it just took a lot of time because I could only bake 6 at a time. I also need to use parchment paper so they don't stick. Lessons learned. 


I recently had a conversation with a friend about jealousy and she prayed something that was a revelation for me. I should have been obvious but she suggested that I prayed for the person toward whom I direct my jealously. Genius! I couldn't believe after all these months I hadn't thought of that myself. That got me thinking about lent and what I might give up or take up throughout the 40 days. Facebook is a really challenge for me as it an important means of keeping in touch but it often hurts me a lot. So after some deliberation I have decided to really cut my Facebook usage over the Lenten season. I decided that I will only use messenger and log in when I see I have some sort of notification. Gone are the days of scrolling through the news feed and checking whether messages have gone unanswered after viewing. At this point I am unsure what else I will do but I still have a few days to decide what would have a meaningful impact.

Garbage update: This week was a bit better but there is still a lot that doesn't make it in the jar. Mostly it is paper from work but I do try to use scraps when I can. I have really cut my snacking though so that has reduced the snack bags in my office trash.

As a complete departure from the rest of this blog I need to say that the world is a scary place and there are many terrible people but if you or I can bring light into just one of those people's lives a difference has been made. No change is too small. No person is too insignificant to matter. 

2 comments:

  1. Marina!
    This morning the pastor at my church reminded us that we are 'to live for an audience of One'. No matter how many others read, you are writing for the glory of Jesus! So I agree with you friend, it is worth it!!

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bagels look delicious, put lots of jam and peanut butter on them! It's like the homily on Ash Wednesday, do things so no one else knows you are giving something up, doing something nice, sharing what you have. God knows what you are doing and will be glad, that's all that matters. Love you lots and miss you more!

    ReplyDelete