Sunday 26 October 2014

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's... the gangway

I saw this yesterday morning...




Which can only mean one thing... we are in Madagascar! Well, I suppose it could mean we made a stop somewhere else and set up shop, or turned around and went back to South Africa, or we stumbled upon an undiscovered land.  However, in this instance, it doesn't. Right now the starboard side of the ship has the nice view (which is pretty uncommon). It just happens that the starboard side is where my room sits. So here is what we can see from the ship (minus the tug boat):


Beach looks nice, huh? Too bad the sharks might eat you! We have been warned not to swim there but there is another beach a little farther down that is less shark infested. Seeing as I am not a big fan of ocean swimming I wouldn't worry too much about me playing with the sharks. 

My observations thus far:

1. It is hot... all the time
2. The sun comes up very early
3. The sun goes down very early
4. If you smile, people will smile back
5. This is going to be awesome!

Today when I went to mass I was sitting there with a friend and he made an interesting observation. What if you were a little kid and you have never seen a white person before? Naturally my first thought and my response, was "we're blowing their minds right now". The other thing I noticed was that even at 5'5" I felt tall in a church FULL of people. 

So here we are, safe and sound. This week we will have orientation for the Malagasy day workers who have been hired to staff many different departments on the ship. It should be challenging but oh so interesting. Have a wonderful week!

Malagasy word of the blog: Veloma! (ve-LOOMa) - Goodbye



1 comment:

  1. glad you are safe and sound! Enjoy the new experiences.

    ReplyDelete