Sunday 17 May 2015

What You Don't Know Won't Hurt You

Post number 50! How could I possibly have so much to say that I have written about myself and my experiences 50 times?
I will warn you now, before you get too far in, that this post is no fun. I really wish I were a more fun individual but, alas, that is not the case. This is not a pity party, because someone has to be the responsible one!
Some have said that I over think things. To that I say, you are absolutely correct! How do I turn off my brain so I stop over thinking, and over analyzing everything about my life, and the world? As far as I know it is not possible, but if someone knows otherwise please tell me! Here is my current thought process.
Today, I was finishing up the long weekend at the beach (I'm no longer fooling anyone with my insistence that I dislike the beach), and I heard something distressing. Just down the beach from where our group was staying, was a large group of Malagasy people gathered together. As we are curious creatures, we were wondering what was going on, and thought maybe it was a church gathering. Well, one of the ladies who worked at the hotel had walked over to the group, and when she walked back someone asked her what was happening. She responded that four fishermen had gone out on Thursday and never come back. The fishermen in Madagascar work out of canoes. I don't believe they have any food stores, life jackets, or any way to signal for help. So, you see, for a few men to be gone for three days is a big deal. That got me thinking about all the people around the world, and how many things happen to which we are completely oblivious.
I just finished reading a book called Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. In the book she describes the awful realities of some of the countries she lived in, including Kenya and Somalia. She describes unthinkable living conditions, and people in hopeless situations. I had no idea any of this had happened, and could never even come close to understanding what she went through at that time of her life. With all of the recent natural disasters, and challenges the world is currently facing, I have heard more that one person, in more that one part of the world, ask if this is the end. This combination of facts just made me keenly aware that awful things happen all over the world, all the time. The thing that dictates whether it impacts our thoughts is awareness. How many natural disasters happen that we don't know about, because they don't affect a large amount of people or are not in an area that is in the public eye? How many injustices occur everyday that cause oppression among people, that we don't know about? I'm not saying that we can possibly know everything that happens everywhere. I am just making an observation that our understanding of what happens on this Earth is so limited and there is not a whole lot we can do about it. Sure, you can take the time to inform yourself by reading the news, traveling to new places, and meeting new people, but even then you can't know everything. I just wonder how many times people around of world have looked at their circumstances, or heard of things in neighbouring lands that caused them to think that the end of world was coming.
I don't know where the balance is in understanding and accepting vs. inquiring and questioning. The other thing I have been told is that I want to know everything. I certainly don't want to know everything, because that is a lot of responsibility but I am definitely not a stranger to using the word "why". Sometimes I ask "why" and I get an answer that I wasn't prepared for, or that I really didn't want to know because it was too personal, or became a burden to know. However, I wouldn't have been able to make that conclusion without the information provided. Kind of a paradox I suppose.
I often can't accept an answer without having some idea of how the answer was formulated. I am sure that this can be extremely frustrating, because of how disrespectful, and distrustful it is to always be questioned. I want to have faith, I want to be okay with not having empirical evidence, or a clear understanding of the thought process or the concept, but I don't know how to do that. How can I be less inquisitive, less skeptical, more accepting, and more trusting? This is how I have gotten to a place where I am questioning the very basis of religion, and that is so incredible stressful. Who really wants to rethink the foundation of their life? I think that it might be nice to be on the opposite side of the spectrum and live in a state of oblivion, but I know that wouldn't make me happy either (or maybe it would because I wouldn't know any better). I'd like to find a happy medium. Please help!

Have a wonderful week. If you are celebrating Victoria Day in Canada, I hope you enjoy your long weekend and your short work week.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marina!
    Lovely hearing from you as always! Questions are wonderful things, they really are! I very much encourage watching Voddie Baucham's 'Why I chose to believe the Bible'. It answers some great questions as to why the Bible is a reliable source.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWU12DzPTUo

    Love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heavy duty! Sometimes I wonder how your head doesn't explode with all the thoughts you have in there! All I can say is I love you and support you. You can read the Maclean's article "why so many people -including scientists- suddenly believe in God". It has some interesting perspectives. Remember the scene in Ever After when the prince is talking about how he thought that if he had to care about everything and know about everything he thought he would burst and then he started the library that is now the Louvre. Everyone questions, just some do it deeper and longer than others. Love you always and forever.

    ReplyDelete