Sunday 31 January 2016

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood

Oh Mr. Rogers. Although it has been many years since I watched that show and it has been many years since Fred Rogers passed away, I can still hear the theme song playing in my head. When I thought about what to write I figured it would be nice to share a couple of pictures of my "neighbourhood", and beautiful it is.

These are from a trip I took last weekend and the full moon was just ridiculous. It was so bright; like a huge lantern hanging over the water.


The picture below captures a scenario that could potentially be a nightmare for my sister: a huge pile of cinnamon (my sister strongly dislikes cinnamon). I passed it outside the market yesterday and thought it was amazing. Huge cinnamon sticks laying out in the sun, filling the whole area with their sweet smell.


An update on my garbage. This experiment has increased my hoarding tendencies. That is not a good thing. For example, I took a Benedryl while I was at work (too many mosquito bites) and I had to keep the blister package to that I could deposit it in my jar later. Well, I forgot it in my desk, a couple of times. Eventually it got to where it needed to be and it was something very unassuming so it didn't cause too much of an issue. Other than that it is going okay. Even trying to cut down I feel like I still have a lot. Yesterday was a bad day as I was cooking and ended up with two empty cans and no where to recycle them. I want to say I'll keep them until Durban and find somewhere to put them there but I don't remember seeing recycling bins there. I also realized that I already had a heightened awareness of this garbage issue as evidenced by the fact that I collected all my cardboard waste last year and brought it home with me when I went for Easter. Yes, I am that crazy.

As an aside: Today is my mom's birthday! She puts up with a whole lot and care about all of her kids (biological and students) so much. She will do so much for everyone around here. She is an very hard worker and has proven that in two giant ways that I am aware of: 1. When she was very pregnant with my sister when she had a report due at work. Although the elevator was broken she climbed many flights of stairs to make sure it got there on time and 2. She was at work all day the day I was born and in early labour the whole time! Good thing my dad intervened or it could have been a very different beginning for me. In addition to being a wonderful mother she has proved to be an excellent principal and fantastic grandma. Yesterday she reminded me that I will always be her baby, no matter what. I am very lucky to have her. If you see her, give her a hug for me please.


That is all. Have a fabulous week!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lovely words and sentiments, Marina. Much love to you too!

    ReplyDelete