Tuesday 16 September 2014

Set sail

I have been holding off on posting any new information because we were instructed to keep the location of our field service off of the internet out of respect for country next and the people in charge of releasing the news through the right channels. I was happy to oblige! They were supposed to make the official press release on Thursday of last week but then decided against it out of respect for September 11. Now that we are really on the open ocean and heading south it is about time I let you know what is going on. We got permission to tell the world yesterday so here it is... we are going to Madagascar!
Mercy Ships decided that the Ebola outbreak in West Africa is very volatile and the risk of exposure is far too great. It seems like God really set this whole thing up well though. The brand new managing director of the ship has a personal relationship with the president of Madagascar and was able to get the protocol signed within a week. Apparently the process to get the protocol signed (the document that outlines the agreement between Mercy Ships and the country in which we are serving) can take MONTHS! So all of these changes have presented many challenges but this seemed to be a huge hurdle that was overcome relatively easily based on that already established relationship. Talk about taking advantage of your resources!
So the plan is that we are at sea for approximately 18 days (we left Las Palmas on Saturday around 5ish) heading to South Africa. Once we are in South Africa the hope is that the ship will be able to receive the necessary repairs before we head to Madagascar. The way the problem was explained to me is that most ships can only go forward and backward, but our ship has the ability to control side to side movement as well. However, that side to side action is not working, which is only a problem if you are going somewhere where they don't have good tugboats that push and pull you to the dock. As far as I know Madagascar may not have tugs that can handle the ship and so that is why the problem needs to be fixed before we arrive. I also believe that our stop in South Africa will be used as a publicity/recruiting opportunity. It could also be a good chance for volunteers to meet the ship because it is easier to get a flight into South Africa than into Madagascar. So that is the plan for now, I expect it will change because that is just how things go around here. I have heard many times that "the only constant on the ship is change" and it is very true so far.
I appreciate everyone sticking with me through this whole waiting period and now it's go time!
Yesterday morning I saw a whole bunch of dolphins swimming around the ship. Did I have my camera with me? Nope. Will we probably see some more dolphins in the next few weeks? Let's hope so!
No seasickness so far but the whole rocking to and fro has not been helpful for sleeping. I have heard a few people say the ship rocks you to sleep but I cannot concur with that statement. Hopefully I will get used to it. Also, Sunday night was fajita night (which is the best dinner on the ship) and I just felt the need to share that with you because it is the simple things in life that are exciting!
The internet is like 1995 over here so please excuse the lack of pictures; it takes FOREVER to upload anything.
This is the view for the next two weeks!


1 comment: