Sunday 21 February 2016

Garbage Revealed

It has been a month, and today is the day that I show you all how wasteful I truly am. Here's the evidence:

The left hand side is all empty bags of flour and sugar and butter wrappings (evidence of my baking obsession). The middle section is mostly food wrapping and the right side is the section that is the most disappointing.
It is disappointing because if I were at home these items could have been recycled, but here they just become trash. Overall it did not change my habits too much but I did refrain from buying many single serving snacks that are a big garbage producing culprit in my life. This tells me that when I go home I can really reduce my waste by purchasing baking ingredients in bulk and avoiding too many packaged snacks. Can you buy butter in bulk? Maybe straight from a farm? I don't know about that. I guess I could make my own butter by using fresh cream (from a glass bottle). Oh the things that are possible. 

As evidence of my need to bake here is my Sunday morning:

The crew galley was quiet and there isn't much more I can ask for to improve my baking experience.

Yesterday was an amazing day as I got the opportunity to  join a group of women from the ship and go to a local church and minister to some of the women there. A foot washing was organized and there were about 50 women that were there and got their feet washed. It was really interesting to see many of them break down in tears while the process was taking place and see many of them have huge smiles on their faces when it was all over. We got so many hugs and so many thank yous; they were so grateful and I was very grateful to be a part of the whole thing.

As an aside: Mercy Ships founder Don Stephens is on board and I am spending my days taking the long way so as not to disturb him. I have been told he is a very humble man. I look forward to hearing him speak tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment