Saturday 31 January 2015

Three in a Row!

This week was certainly better than last week. I was reminded that I have people who are advocating for me on the ship, and there are people who think I am a nice person and do nice things, despite my feelings of inadequacy. Lesson: people notice that you are trying, so don't give up! Also, I got to babysit for one of the families on the ship on Friday, which was so fun! I thought the kids could make Valentine's Day decorations. It ended up going over really well, and I taught them how to make paper-chains (you know the ones, with people holding hands). Such a fun way to spend my night, and it gave their parents a chance to do date night; WIN-WIN!

I went to the beach for the third weekend in a row. This is getting ridiculous, I know. I can hear you now: "Marina, all you do is go to the beach! What the heck?" I'm stretching myself people, you should be proud! I am going places I'm not particularly fond of AND I am spending time with new people. I was definitely the person that didn't make sense in the group, being the only non-African, but I was happy to have been invited. I thought about it for a while, and knew it would have been easy to say no, but in an effort to meet new people accepting the invitation was the right thing to do. If anyone needs a boost of self esteem, you need to come to Madagascar right this minute and walk on the beach or just down the street. In small doses this is definitely the answer to your woes. Staring has become expected-ish but I even got waved over to have a drink (even though I am trying to make new friends this is an offer I was fine to turn down). Although I was quiet, because I didn't know everyone very well, I still enjoyed myself. My hope is that it will be the catalyst to the start of some new relationships. My hope is that no one thinks I was rude, or boring because I wasn't involved in all the laughs, and didn't want to go in the water.
Something I noticed while walking along the beach today: the sand sparkles! It literally looks like there are gold flecks in the sand; it is absolutely beautiful (this picture doesn't do it ANY justice).



On another note... HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! This woman is such a good example in every single facet of my life but especially the spiritual, personal, and educational parts. I love her so much! If you want to do something really nice for her you could tell her that at least one of her children looks like her. You can choose whichever one of us you like, just make sure you mean it. I mean, I don't want to condone lying, but she deserves to hear it after all the combined 27 months of pregnancy, countless pep-talks, back rubbing, soup-making, project/homework help, advocating, mediating, loving, caring, giving, sharing, sacrificing, and endless amounts of mothering activities that I don't even know about.



Have a great weekend! Happy Superbowl Sunday. Go Cowboys Go; oh wait, that definitely didn't happen. Love you dad! According to a recent poll, the Cowboys are the best at something:
http://www.syracuse.com/superbowl/index.ssf/2015/01/super_bowl_2015_poll_new_england_patriots_hated_nfl_team_seahawks_cowboys.html

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful comments, you have to take some credit too for listening! Love you lots and continue to grow, learn and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still so enjoying reading your blog Miss Marina! Thank you for sharing and I'm so thrilled to hear you are taking up opportunities to spend with locals and getting to experience the culture in authentic settings! You are amazing!
    Much love from your home province :)

    ReplyDelete