Saturday 17 January 2015

In the Shade

Just after I posted my blog from last week I was browsing the internet for some strategies to kick start making some changes in my life. This was the first article I read:
http://www.stevenaitchison.co.uk/blog/10-things-you-should-drop-from-your-life-starting-now/

I had realized it before, but this article  just reminded me of a few things. First, I don't like giving up on people. I know I have lost a few friends over the years because of a lack of effort on my part, and not seeing past the challenges. However, for the most part, discounting people entirely is not something that I do lightly. I am always hoping I will be able to help or something will change. In addition, I know that everyone has great value, so to decide not to have someone in my life just make me think that I am above change, or challenge. Second, I say "yes" a lot. I am happy to say yes because I know it makes other people happy, which in turn makes me happy, but I shouldn't always be saying yes. I think the problem is in the fact that I am scared to say no. If I say no maybe the person will never ask again, stop liking me, push me away, be angry with me, or any number of other things. Third, how can I speak my mind if it offends others? That doesn't seem like a good way to act. Aren't we to have others' interests at heart, and put them before our own?

Do you see why I am so often conflicted and challenged?!

On another note, cyclone planning has put me on edge. There was something about knowing that if the ship has to pull away from the port, to avoid being damaged, that bothered me a whole lot on Friday. I was trying to think of an appropriate analogy but nothing seems to fit. I think because this situation is unlike anything else in life; there is nothing to compare it to. We live on a ship and our "house" would have to leave its residents behind. Strange. I would really like for life to make sense, but that seems like it is too much to ask at this point.

Apart from my sunburn, the beach was a great time. The drive was pretty bumpy in the back of the Land Rover, and the pool was a peculiar shade of green, but it was good to get away. It was hot. I mean, you couldn't stop sweating it was so hot. I'm going to say that was a serious factor in my sunburn. That and the sun showers. It was just too hard to keep the sunscreen on. At least it is just my back; I can keep that hidden. The day was spent laying around, reading, listening to music, and drinking coconut water.  The coconut men (surely this is their official title) cut off the top so you can drink the water out of it and then, if you want, they will cut it open so you can eat the "jelly" inside. I am not a huge fan of coconut water at home, but this is not so bad. I certainly wouldn't crave it, but it was nice.



On our way back from the beach we stopped to see the Banyan trees. The square is very close to the ship but tucked away so that you might never know it was there. The trees have created a big canopy that covers an area where kids were playing soccer and others were playing cards. It was so cool (temperature wise); such a contrast from the hot sun that touches you everywhere else you go. 


The seniors home was really fun this week; we did manicures. All the ladies chose their own colour and it was interesting to see that they all chose something different. We even got to do the nails of the caregivers. I'm thinking we might need to bring nail polish remover next week; no one looks good with chipped polish.


Wow, that was easy! I guess when lots of things happen in the week it doesn't take much to put together a good entry. Thank you for reading and I hope you have a wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. glad you got to the seniors' home, I know you like that. Be safe, love you.

    ReplyDelete