Sunday 4 January 2015

Happy New Year!

Dearest readers,

I hope you had a 2014 that brought you lots of lessons and opportunities to learn and grow. I'm pretty sure my 2014 can be described as mildly ridiculous when we all sit back and think about it. Anyway, back to the important stuff. I got to go to the retirement home on Tuesday! It was absolutely delightful; just the kind of ministry where I feel slightly comfortable. Apparently the home is run by the French government and there are only about 12 or 13 residents at the moment. They have bed spaces for 40 or so, but I am not sure why it is so empty. Well, actually I am not that surprised it is so empty because the elderly are well respected in Madagascar, so it seemed strange that this kind of place would even exist here. Anyway, there was one lady that was an absolute riot. She is 93 years old and when she was sitting in her wheelchair her feet were at least 4 inches off the ground. I was told that the owner of the home found this lady in a box. Yes, her kids were keeping her in a box. Why? I'm not sure, but maybe they didn't know how to take care of her, or they didn't know how to respond as she went blind and couldn't take care of herself anymore. Despite all that, she has her bags packed every morning, ready to go home. A few people were making bracelets and when one was given to her she said she didn't have anymore room in her bags. Also, she said that she knows everything that is in the bags, so she'll know if anyone takes something. We spent some time singing songs and one resident really liked that; she was smiling ear to ear and clapping along. It was a good morning.

New Year's Eve brought a beautiful storm. There was supposed to be a party on the dock but because of the storm that was supposed to roll in it got moved inside. It was a good thing because there was lightning that lasted for ages and it was just pouring! Despite that hiccough, the night was great. Chaplaincy even had an area set up for a time of reflection. They dimmed the lights, put on calming music, and provided scripture and points for meditation. There were different stations, if that is what you wanted or needed but I just holed up in a corner, read, and thought. This is the verse that stuck out:

"For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for a lifetime; Weeping may last for the night, But a shout of joy comes in the morning." Psalm 30:5

It just made me think about going to sleep angry. How something can seem so frustrating and upsetting at the moment but if you just sleep on it, things can somehow be so different in the morning. I know this doesn't happen for everyone but knowing that even when things are so difficult and impossible to understand there is something happening. Something that will change who you are, your perspective, and prepare you for another experience along the way. If only it were that easy to remember in the heat of the moment.

Last night (Saturday) on my way to mass I was just moseying along, saying "salama" and smiling to people on the way. Apparently I unintentionally garnered the attention of a man driving a motorcycle. He pulled over and tried to talk to me. Clearly I didn't understand what he was saying. Then he tried to hand me a piece of paper with what looked like phone numbers written on it. I could have been wrong about what he was trying to communicate but in that moment I was so over being a foreigner. All I want to do is run or walk down the street without every other person staring at me. Sure, once and a while a smile and a glance doesn't hurt the self-esteem but I was just tired of it. Then I sat down in church and started to read the scriptures for the mass. Here is the first reading from Isaiah 60: 1-6

"Rise up in splendor, Jerusalem! Your light has come, the glory of the Lord shines upon you. See, darkness covers the earth, and thick clouds cover the peoples; but upon you the LORD shines, and over you appears his glory. Nations shall walk by your light, and kings by your shining radiance. Raise your eyes and look about; they all gather and come to you: your sons come from afar, and your daughters in the arms of their nurses. Then you shall be radiant at what you see, your heart shall throb and overflow, for the riches of the sea shall be emptied out before you, the wealth of nations shall be brought to you. Caravans of camels shall fill you, dromedaries from Midian and Ephah; all from Sheba shall come bearing gold and frankincense, and proclaiming the praises of the LORD."

Does anyone else see the message there? Well let me just say I kind of laughed after I read it and I was no longer annoyed. Standing out can be a blessing, a way to reach people that you might never encounter. Maybe I am a light, who knows the impact you can make just through the smallest gesture. Now, if you think about THAT too much you might feel burdened and overwhelmed because that is a lot of responsibility. Some days you just don't want to be nice, or have a conversation in the lunch line, or indulge someone's request to do something that they could do themselves. I guess that is what this is all about though; learning how to serve every single moment of every single day, and loving everyone despite the challenges. 

Have a great week! I hope you all find something in this year that changes your perspective.

With love from Madagascar,

Marina

1 comment:

  1. beautiful words from my beautiful daughter, best of everything in 2015

    ReplyDelete