Sunday 30 November 2014

'Tis the Season

Christmas already!? Well the ship got decorated yesterday and there are Christmas trees and garlands everywhere (even up the gangway). With that, the array of Christmas activities will begin. Starting with the Dutch tradition of Sinterklass the day before the feast of St. Nicholas, on December 6th. I wonder what it will be all about. I do know Santa will be making an appearance.

A report about my infiltration of the Malagasy crew: I did it! On Wednesday I sat with three people I had never met before. They were very kind and allowed me to join them. They all work in the galley (kitchen) and although the language made it a bit challenging, they were able to make it work between the three of them and get the right message back to me. They were concerned about the lack of food on my plate and so I got to tell them that I don't each fish (what they were eating for lunch) and that I am vegetarian. That always raises a few eyebrows but it is a good way to start a conversation. Now when we see each other we greet each other with more than the typical smile and head nod. This is progress!

Also, I found out there will be an outreach program at care facility for older people. I am not exactly sure what it will look like yet but I hope I will be able to participate. It is an odd concept to me because elders are so well respected in Madagascar. As such, it really surprises me that a place like that exists here. I figured that people would take care of their parents and grandparents no matter what.

As a part of my branching out I also went to the market again this week, but I actually bargained and bought a few things! I know it doesn't sound like a lot but I was always too worried about paying too much, or having the language barrier be more than I could handle. However, I was with a great group of people that put me at ease because they showed me with enough hand signals and third party assistance, great deals can be made. I was also more comfortable because I was able to get a general sense of what the cost should be for certain items. Therefore, I had a goal price to work around. I think I did alright. The very first thing I wanted to by was a really nice book with blank pages of handmade paper. I may have paid a bit too much for that considering he proposed 30,000 ariary and so I said 20,000 and he said yes right away. Oh well, I know to go lower next time!

After the market we went to the beach for lunch. Not a bad backdrop for an afternoon meal...


All in all, I'd say the branching out process is happening slowly but surely. Have a wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Glad to hear you are putting yourself out there even more but without the late night part!! Love you, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete