Sunday 17 January 2016

Comfort Food

So I had this can of pumpkin...

No, this is not the beginning of a bad joke. I had this one can of pumpkin that I got on the container months ago but I wanted to make a very specific recipe. Unfortunately, I did not have any maple syrup, so I held off until now. What's most convenient is that I got the cutest little bottle of syrup while I was home, as a wedding favour (thank you Teresa and Dan). It was especially perfect because it was small and plastic (excellent for transportation from Canada to Madagascar).

 With the aforementioned syrup I successfully made the muffins. During the course of my muffin making another crew member came up to the crew galley and was walking around as though they were looking for something. The second time this person walked around I asked what they were looking for. When I heard it was parchment paper that they were after, I knew they wouldn't find any in there but I did have an extra box in my cabin. So we walked downstairs and solved the problem. Easy. Later on the evening I come to my cabin door and saw something sitting outside. I rarely have anything waiting for me but my cabin mates often have notes and other things so I assumed it was for one of them. But wait! It had my name on it. When I unwrapped it I found this perfect little loaf of bread with a note saying I had saved the day! It made me so happy! It also looked so similar to my Nonna's Easter bread that I couldn't help but smile.


What may seem like a small gesture can end up providing so much comfort. Thank you!

After the muffin making, I was left over with quite a bit of pumpkin but I wasn't prepared to stay in the crew galley any longer so I put off making pumpkin pancakes until today. They turned out fantastic! Now my box in the freezer is full of delicious breakfast options! I really love breakfast food but I don't look forward to breakfast on the ship, so having some exciting options might give me some more incentive to get out of bed in the morning. 

My weekend was very quiet, so other than cooking/baking and going to the market I have nothing to report. Oh, that is untrue. When I was walking to the store to buy pasta on Friday (it was bratwurst night) a man with terrible English skills was trying to talk to me, and eventually asked if I was celibate. Of all the English words he could know, why is celibate one of them? Oh dear. That pasta was delicious by the way. I had Nonna's sauce to put on it and some chickpeas to mix in. Yum! 

So now that I have made you read about food for 5 minutes, you now know it's importance in my life, especially on the ship. 

Happy Sunday! My niece is being Christened today. Good thing I will be home soon, so I don't have too many more milestones.

1 comment:

  1. It was a beautiful day and you were missed by everyone, love you lots! The muffins and pancakes sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete