Saturday 5 December 2015

The "Normal" Days

What exciting things happened today? I can't give you big news every week, so this time around it will just be an ordinary post. Today I went to the market to grab a few last minute gifts and on my way out of the port a portly (ha ha I didn't notice that until I proofread it - port/portly) Malagasy man made a gesture to suggest that I was fat. Well, sir, I don't believe that is really going to help your cause, and don't you think that is a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black? I was confused. Moving forward. The market was fun, as always. During one transaction I was bargaining with a lady and then another vendor came over and gave his suggested price (half the price the lady gave in the first place), and then another man came over and completely took over. I ended up just walking away because the 3rd guy was insulting my other purchases in order to make his seem better. Inside the market building I am now careful not to walk down the aisle full of vendors selling raw meat. First of all it just smells unpleasant, and second of all it looks scary. Oh, I almost for get to tell you that on my way to the market I saw a little boy herding goats down the street. I kids you not, he probably had 20-30 goats.

That was my excitement for the day. Next weekend is Winter Wonderland, where crew members can sign up to sell whatever they choose (mostly crafts and food) and other crew members buy what they like. This year I am being brave and selling cupcakes. In order to avoid the chaos of the shared kitchen my plan is to wake up super early on Saturday morning (5 am) and get a good amount done before people start to wake up. The joy I get from baking is easily squashed by too many cooks in the kitchen. Also, I am kind of crazy about making everything as fresh as possible, so although I could bake the cupcakes ahead of time and freeze them, that would make it too easy for me. Sometime doing things the hard way is just better (and in this case, more delicious).

Have a wonderful Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to fresh baked blueberry scones when you come home! aside from a whole list of other things I am looking forward to! Love you

    ReplyDelete