Sunday 29 November 2015

Science Fair & Exciting News

I got to go to the science fair. When you have such a small school it makes it possible to have almost all of the students present their projects. What en excellent opportunity to practice public speaking! I was surprised that the majority of the kids seemed quite comfortable in front of a room full of people. I certainly felt for the kids who struggled, because that was me at that age; I absolutely dreaded public speaking. Thankfully I have grown out of it and into a place where I am a bit more comfortable, but the butterflies never seem to go away. Grades 1-3 had their projects on display at the back of the room and the rest of the grades did full presentations. I was asked to mark the presentations with a rubric the science teacher had developed. It was quite thorough. They had strict time parametres and criteria such as elocution and body language. The presentation topics ranged from electric circuits to forensic science and mummification. The mummified fish was a little smelly, but the dissection, and lengthy process to mummify the little fishy was pretty impressive. Poor dead fishy.


I also got some incredibly unexpected news that has me on a roller coaster of emotions. After studying for the LSAT in Durban and at sea, writing it in Madagascar, and completing the lengthy application process I got a response. I got into law school at the University of Ottawa. I got the e-mail on Friday after work and I was so excited I jumped up and down, and then I paused. I thought it was so early (just two weeks after getting the e-mail to confirm receipt of my application) so I got serious. I decided I need to double check before I told anyone, so I called the admissions office. The lady kind of laughed at me when I told her I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a mistake. She confirmed that I had been accepted and congratulated me. Then I got to call my mom. I am thankful I didn't see the e-mail until the end of the day here when everyone at home was already awake or I may have exploded. As I was talking to my mom on her cell phone my dad called her on the house phone so she got to tell him right away. Being my dad he wanted to know how soon I start (anything to get me home). The excitement lasted a few hours and then all the logistics started settling. Moving, going back to school, leaving the ship, leaving my family again. Then yesterday I realized that I would be starting school at 27 and wouldn't be done until I was 30. That seems really old right now. I started worrying about all the 21 year olds that would be my classmates. Kids with unlimited amounts of energy and 5 more years for neuroplasticity. Not fair. Luckily my family is keeping me excited. My brother is already getting ready to go apartment hunting and telling me that he is coming to visit. He has an excellent idea of where I shouldn't live (any of the buildings he lived in while he was in Ottawa). Funny, I am back to going to the school where my brother went, just like the old days. Well, I should say that I applied to one other school and am unsure whether to wait for an answer or just go with the offer from Ottawa. Once I get home for Christmas I can peruse the admissions package and decide. It seems like a no-brainer but I think that is partially because Ottawa is familiar to me. I have been there countless times, where I have never been to the other school or the city in which it sits. Thank you for all the prayers; they were answered. Have a wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. We are very excited for you Marina. Don't worry about the age thing. I did it for a year and it is amazing how life experience more than makes up for youthful energy. God Bless your new journey.

    ReplyDelete