Sunday 30 August 2015

What's that in the sky?

I love a good wake. I'd love it more if I were surfing on it, but beggars can't be choosers. This particular wake wouldn't be good for surfing anyway:



Isn't it beautiful? That is without any filters or enhancements of any kind! It is so mesmerizing to watch. Unfortunately if I look at it for too long my seaworthiness leaves me completely and I become a landlubber.

There will be no more wake watching for a while because we are in Madagascar!




As I was eating breakfast I could see some of the members of the deck department preparing for arrival.  


It is unclear to me what was attracting their attention in the sky but what do I know about mooring operations? It did make me think of my post from last year: http://marinajosephine.blogspot.com/2014/10/its-bird-its-plane-its-gangway.html.  It was a serious process to get the ship all set up next to the dock. Even just to turn around (so we could back in) seemed to take forever. Last field service we had to move a couple of times to reset the anchors and the goal this time was to set once and be good to go. Hopefully things went according to plan so we can stay put. Being here has me very excited about reclaiming a routine and having the surroundings be familiar again.  Getting up early to walk, knowing where to find a quiet spot on the beach, having a chance to walk off the ship any night of the week and just feel free to roam, are all just nice things to know I can do even if I don't do them all the time.

Upon arrival many people immediately noticed that a ship with crew members awaiting trial for illegal exportation of rose wood was still sitting at the dock. They have been there for a very long time. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be, especially if you had no idea that someone was up to something. Maybe something great will happen soon so they can get back to their families.

This week is going to be a busy week! We are expecting A LOT of new crew tomorrow, and Tuesday is when all the day crew comes on board for their orientation. The ship is not going to be quiet anymore and the lunch line is going to be madness. It is all for the best though, because the hospital will open soon and lives are going to be changed (not just the patients').

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah!! You are finally there. I am glad you arrived safely and are enthusiastic about all the work ahead of you. Stay positive, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!! Praying for you and the Madi 2 team! God has blessings ready to shower down on the MercyShip team and patients! Keep us posted! Love you sister!!! Eileen Hardin (projects and Ship shop team Durbin 2015)

    ReplyDelete