Sunday 9 August 2015

Sweating Bullets

Excessive sweating is not something new for me. You are currently thinking I am offering way too much information and I have officially fallen off my rocker. Wait! Sweating is good for you right? Gets rid of the toxins? Well I should be toxin free given that I currently occupy a cabin that lacks airflow, and an office that is warmed by the beautiful sun all day (which results in a skin clarifying sauna by around 13:00). Despite those particular disadvantages that guarantee I will be sweating at some point of the day, I had not at all anticipated that I would end up sweating more in the coolest place on the ship than in any of the heat filled rooms that I frequent. I got a new duty in case of a fire and so now I get to muster on the bridge. Sweet! The bridge is air conditioned all the time (to protect the instruments) and when there is a fire drill you don't have to stand on the dock all bored and uninformed. Sounds great. WRONG! I must have been incredibly nervous because I had to wipe my brow on multiple occasions to make sure I didn't drip on the time sheet. Luckily the drill didn't include any fire simulations because I would have had more tasks to manage. Whoever decided to do a muster only was my personal hero that day.

This weekend was fairly quiet with the highlight being a big purchase at the mall: pencils. Sad? Well, it was more sad when someone invited me to go to dinner on Saturday night and what came out of my mouth was "I have to buy pencils". It was true! It was also true that I needed to buy leggings as well, but apparently I thought that buying pencils was enough of a justification. I am pretty excited about them because they don't have an eraser on the end and the outside is neon! What more could you ask for in a pencil?
If you hadn't thought I'd fallen off my rocker in that first paragraph surely you think so now! I get excited about the small things. 

What else has been going on? Well an update on the delay is that we are behind about two weeks. The good news is that the problem wasn't as bad as it could have been, which is great news! We should be back in Madagascar at the end of August, with the hospital and off site projects, up and running soon after. 

That's all for now! In a previous post I mentioned having to wear hard hats on the dock. Some of them are downright dirty but there are some pretty new ones like this: 


Smile! 

1 comment: