Sunday 7 June 2015

It's the most "insert adjective" time of the year!

You know when Staples starts playing the back to school commercial at the beginning of August and you are just thinking it is completely unnecessary? Well, my dad LOVED that commercial and took great joy in singing it to us (his kids) to remind us that we would be back to school very soon. Although this is the most backwards time of year to be thinking of that song (as everyone is getting ready for school to finish), this is a special time of year on the ship. Orange lifejackets, and at sea drills mean we are gearing up to set sail!



I say that you can insert your own adjective to describe this time of year because it is not the same for everybody. Depending who you are, and your role on the sail, it could be the most wonderful time of the year or, if you are working really hard to get the ship to Durban, it could be the most stressful time of year. If it is your first sail it could be the most nerve racking time of the year because you don't know if you are going to be standing on deck 8 marvelling at the open ocean, or if you will be staying close to a toilet ready to toss your cookies at any moment. It could also be the most beautiful time of year if you get to see some marine life swimming along side the ship, or get to look at the crazy amount of stars on a clear night. Regardless of your adjective, the sail is certainly a unique experience for everyone. I am hoping that I will maintain my status as a good sailor (and get to keep my name), but I have half a dozen cans of ginger ale, just in case. 

If all goes well, the ship should almost be in Durban, South Africa this time next week. Keep us on your mind throughout the week, especially the technical crew who have to work extra hard to make sure we get there safely. 

This field service in Madagascar has been immensely successful, and part of me is surprised that a year has already gone by since I began my Mercy Ships journey in Texas. I have learned so much this year, about myself and about others, but I will save those insights for another post. Thank you to everyone who has supported me in getting to this place, and being able to staying here. Despite the challenges, I wouldn't change any of it. I am looking forward to a quiet time in Durban to gear up for coming back to Madagascar for another field service in August.

What is your word for this time of year (sailing or not)?

1 comment:

  1. My word for this time of the year is 'crazy', pageants, graduation, picnic, packing, praying, I am doing it all! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete