Sunday 1 March 2015

What's for Lunch?

In Madagascar there are lots of foods that I have never seen before, or that I may have seen in the grocery store but would never know how to eat it, cook it, or even begin to get it open. For example, passionfruit. I knew it tasted delicious but I have no idea it looks like this:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgWyPzz5Km2OyWiM0SOUC89qFV3D_5MgUKxZFd4NFYG-8b6xMaeLIPt2Ou7XFGqUHYMdtrXH7JgEEOYg19LYDh7hJD2T_DAy_Z-tU3SC7j4-HJ23bEbaELHS2kah7XTwWJbOHinNGWMrPw/s1600/Sweet-Granadilla-And-Its-Properties.jpg

Whenever someone it making something with passionfruit in the crew galley it smells beautiful!

This past week I got to try two new foods that are common in Madagascar: breadfruit and rambutan.

I was in the crew galley, on one of many occasions, and one of the other ladies that is in there all the time had roasted breadfruit and offered me a piece. If it isn't meat, I am always happy to try it! The moment I tasted it, it sparked a memory. It tasted exactly like something I had eaten many times before, but I couldn't put my finger on it. In fact, I still haven't figured it out. I asked how you choose a good one, and she wasn't sure. The picture below, is from the internet but that is what it looked like. I was told not to eat that dark part in the middle. The outside is my favourite part because the pattern is so beautiful, but you can't eat it. When it is raw the outside is green.


At lunch and dinner we always have at least one fruit option. Since litchi season is over we haven't seen those in quite some time. However, this guy showed up last week...


Cute huh!? Many people were calling it a Chinese litchi, but upon further investigation, it looks like it is actually a rambutan. Not to be confused with Rasputin. Rasputin makes me think of Russia, the Disney movie Anastasia, and the song that used to get played at weddings all the time. You know the one that made people dance in a way that made you think someone was going to pop their knee. For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about or who would like to go down memory lane, I have included a video below. NOTE: I will not be held responsible for any injuries that come as a result of dancing to this song!


I hope everyone has a wonderful week! Maybe you'll get to try something new (don't be scared)!


1 comment:

  1. Whoa! for a minute there I thought you had some secret footage of Dad and I dancing to this - I loved when he would spin me around the dance floor! Good to see you trying new foods!

    ReplyDelete