Saturday 21 March 2015

Mo Money Mo Problems

For those of you who are wondering about the title here is the reference (DISCLAIMER: don't listen to it with children, or people who are easily offended near by):


Back to business. I always like to give those people who aren't in the country I am currently in, an idea of what the money looks like. The exchange rate is about 2800 ariary to 1 US dollar and 2300 to one Canadian dollar. Can we discuss how awful the Canadian dollar is right now? Seriously, it is very upsetting. Do you know what else is upsetting? I read that Target is closing all 133 stores they have in Canada! Is Canada really that bad for business? It really startled me that such a large corporation would "give up" after only two years. I guess if it doesn't work, then don't do it. They were doing just fine before they came to Canada anyway. I am just wondering who is going to fill all of those storefronts? Time to get back on topic...

The bills are kind of like Euros in that the greater the value, the larger the actual bill. I have had a few coins but they are so very worthless that I always forget I have them and often the store will just round to the nearest hundred. Really, 20 ariary is a fraction of a penny, and Canadians don't even use pennies anymore anyway! I mean, one day some kid is going to see and penny and say something ridiculous like "what does this do?" Anyway, the largest bill I have seen is 10000 and then 5000, 2000, 1000, 500, 200, 100.  The currency used to be Malagasy Francs until 2005, and that value is indicated on the smaller bills. Most of the bills I get are very clean and crisp. That being said, I have seen some very dirty and worn bills, I just never get them myself. Strange.










Have a wonderful Sunday (and partial Saturday, depending where you are).

Also, it is my favourite brother's birthday tomorrow. Yes, he is also my only brother, so you are thinking that he is my default favourite. Let me tell you right now, if he weren't as awesome as he is, I would certainly NOT claim his as my favourite. So if you are going to see him, please give him a hug for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment