Saturday 18 October 2014

Adiós Cape Town

Here I am, same view, different sail. Cape Town is a beautiful place and although it takes forever to get there from home I would highly recommend a visit to anyone who is thinking about a big trip. While I was there I was able to hike up Table Mountain, go to Robben Island, enjoyed some very good company.
Table mountain is that iconic landmark that Cape Town is know for; it is one of the new 7 wonders of nature. Here are a few pictures... you decide for yourself.

A view of Table Mountain and Lion's Head from the ship on our way out

The Mountain covered with its "Table Cloth"

A view of Cape Town, Lion's Head, and Signal Hill from the top of Table Mountain


Can you see the little reptile?
Climbing Table Mountain was something that I really felt I HAD to do before I left Cape Town or I would have felt very guilty. However, I really just wanted to go at my own pace and take some time alone. The issue is that all the literature says not to hike alone. Oh well. I figured there would be lots of people around so I wouldn't have anything to worry about. Don't worry mom, I was right; there were a ton of people hiking on the trail I chose. I wasn't sure which trail I would take but I got on the City Sightseeing Bus and when I got off I took the first trail sign that I saw. It ended up being the most popular route called Platteklip Gorge. It was pretty difficult, especially since the rocks were formed like uneven stairs. I ended up seeing a few other people from Mercy Ships and since I was wearing my Leafs hat and a Canada shirt I got to talk to a few people. A couple from Edmonton gave me a hard time about my hat but they admitted that they couldn't talk because the Oilers are nothing to brag about. All in all, it was a tough hike but I have to admit going up was easier than going down. There is just something about falling downhill that makes you tense up.
When I got back down I hopped back on the bus and got to see the beautiful beaches. Seriously they are gorgeous!


Also, when I was on the bus, I got the only glimpse of snow I will get for a while...



I also managed to get to Robben Island, where Mandela served part of his sentence. The ferry ride was about 45 minutes and it was very rocky. Just think, there is no school on the island so the kids who live there have to take the ferry everyday! On the way back I asked one of the workers if people get sick on the boat and he said yes but that he thought I was doing very well. Well, of course I had to tell him I lived on a ship! So I got to talk to him about Mercy Ships and he couldn't understand that everyone is a volunteer. Anyway, the tour of the island and the prison were very interesting; it really made me want to do some reading on the history of South Africa. We got to tour the prison with a former inmate who was able to give us a good idea of how things used to look when he was there as opposed to how they look now. I didn't get emotional and wasn't awestruck but it was an interesting experience.

Have a great weekend! The sail is going well; thankfully I have managed to stay on my feet so far. Until next time!



1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Marina, love the pictures! I am glad you got to do some sightseeing, once in a lifetime! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete