Saturday 4 October 2014

Oh the animals

So we are in Cape Town! Not just anywhere in Cape Town, we are docked at the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront, where all the action happens!


We also have this view which is pretty awesome...



So this week the invite tours started on the ship. I was involved by taking names at the security gate before they entered. Port security is very tight and they won't let anyone onto the dock without having 24 hours notice. It makes for some grumpy people when you have to tell them their name isn't on the list and there is nothing we can do about it at this point. And, no, lady you cannot pretend to be someone else, especially when the name on here is most clearly a man's name. Apparently it went very well and there has been plenty of positive feedback. Since I have been spending my days suntanning on the pier I have had less time for work, which I have a lot of right now. As a result, I have been getting up bright and early and staying in the office late to make sure things get done. That is really easy to do when you live steps away from where you work, and you have a key!

Yesterday (Friday) we had a ship long weekend. I was planning to just stay near the ship; get some work done, wander around, but I got a last minute invitation to go on a little Safari. After some consideration I realized that I might never get the chance to do it again so I should take advantage. Consequently I got to see lots of beautiful landscapes on the drive there and some very big animals up close when we got there.

Jaguar that was rescued from an abusive situation that they are rehabilitating
Hippo butts
White Rhinos
Zebras
Lions - he looked at us but he was too busy with his 5 women that he couldn't be bothered
Just some elephants... no big deal
So the rhinos are really in danger in South Africa because of the tremendous amount of poaching that occurs. Poachers just cut off the rhino's horn and leave them to die. If they continue to be killed at the rate they are now, it could be just three years by the time they are wiped out!
We drove right next to the lions. I kid you not. They were in their feeding area. The reserve supplements their diets so they don't eat the tourists. True story. There are strict rules about how much land is required for different animals. Each lion has to have 100 hectares! Apparently they lounge around about 21 hours a day; they really are oversized house cats. I couldn't stop thinking that I really wanted to pet them. That could have ended badly.
Their are only two elephants and they are both boys. The reserve is working on procuring some more land so that they can eventually bring in another elephant, hopefully a girl. Our ranger told us that these two elephants are both quite young; 17 and 20ish so they wouldn't even know what to do with a girl right now. He said that they would just be stupid and make her angry. Isn't it interesting, boys are the same across species.

It was a beautiful day and I was glad I decided to go. Today I made up for it and did lots of work! Now I feel better and less panicked about all the work I needed to get done.

There was also this conceited peacock at the reserve around the reception area. He was staring at himself in the window!


He was quite pretty...


Thanks for reading! Have a wonderful weekend.


1 comment:

  1. beautiful pictures marina, glad you had a good time! Keep up the good work ethic!

    ReplyDelete