Saturday 28 May 2016

Moving On

There goes May. Hello June!

I am not going to say I am worrying about school but I will say that I am starting to develop some... thoughts about making new friends, managing work load, and being able to find a job at the end of this whole process. First of all, friends. It became very clear to me recently that although I may know many people on the ship I have a friendship with very few of them. That is true of my life in general. I am going to a place where I now have to make new friends and that causes unreasonable amounts of stress for me. Yes, I will be studying a great deal but I don't want to spend the next 4 years alone with my books. So deep breathes on that subject.

The ship is getting quieter. There are some benefits to this situation: the ship is literally quieter, the laundry slot availability has increased, and there are less people in the lunch line. There are also some disadvantages: lots of emotions... that is all I can think of. Yes, my heart is a stone. Honestly, I feel like I have been blessed with this lack of emotions right now because I could just as easily be a wreck. I have seen so many tears around me as people wave goodbye, and people feeling undervalued because their cabins are getting used for someone else the moment after they leave but that is life on the ship. There were three high school graduates on the ship this year. The whole community was invited to watch their graduation ceremony on Thursday. They all presented a speech to the crowd and were all incredibly well spoken. What an experience. I got a housing request for a family with a teenager the other day and my first reaction was that if that were me I would have been so mad. To have my parents rip me out of my life and take me to a unknown and start all over. Then I got to thinking that although it might be a difficult transition it might be the best thing that ever happened; one of the graduates shared that her experience was like that. The families here are incredible. Although I nearly got knocked over by a child while holding a cake that took me ages to make and decorate, I still think the families are great. I have seen two kids go from babies to walking toddlers and there is an inexplicable feeling of affection toward them. This makes me even more excited to see my own family and my niece that should be running around soon enough. I mean look at this kid:


Those pants are so cute. The frying pan on the stool in the background is a mystery to me. My sister was sick which means that my mom was in charge so anything can happen when grandma is running the show.

I have been carb loading like a champion. For what, you may ask. Nothing. No reason but tortillas, bread, pasta, rice, you name it, are all life staples. Terrible, I know. I keep saying I am going to stay away from it but then I hear it calling me, like a Siren, just waiting for me to crash on the shore. Rude. This is the opposite of half of my family who is doing a carb elimination diet. Maybe I am trying to compensate for them; joke's on me.

Still training for the race. The bike rides are giving me a sore where my tail bone hits. Any advice? I am actually excited for my "long" run tomorrow. I say "long" because it isn't all that long, but it is my longest of the week; 32 minutes.

Laundry is done, cabin is clean, and blog is written. Saturday is a wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment