Sunday 8 May 2016

Home Depot and Heart Change

Have you ever wondered where Malagasy people buy wood to build houses, fences, and who knows what else? This is Home Depot in Madagascar:
It smelled beautiful amongst all the fish and meat. I can't say why, but it always makes me smile when I pass this area of the market. It is just so simple and clear where it all came from and that so many people worked very hard to collect and prepare it.

Anyway, we had a three day weekend, the last one of the field service. It was quite rainy; perfect for laziness. Today the sun has come out which works in my favour because Sunday is run day in the training schedule. I usually strongly dislike the rain because I don't like to get my feet and clothes, and everything else wet but on Saturday I really wanted to go outside and I need to be alone so I put on my raincoat (this might have been the second time ever since I have been away) and went for a walk. The weather was cool so I wasn't sweating like crazy inside my jacket and so it was a very pleasant outing. I also made made pizza dough (I even sprung for the 00 flour) and while I was in the crew galley another person came in and asked if she could play some music. First of all I am thrilled that she was so courteous and asked, as sometimes people are playing music and singing along and all I can think is that they are being inconsiderate of the other people in the room. I recognize that everyone needs their time and space and that looks different for each person, so I would never tell someone to turn off their music but it does irk me sometimes. Anyway, she is from Durban and she was listening to a band from there called Gangs of Ballet. I think my musical tastes have changed significantly in the past year or so. I can't say that my hip hop days are over but they are fewer, and being replaced by softer melodies with less explicit lyrics. I know it seems strange but for a long time I thought that my musical tastes were a barrier to my relationship with God. As I have moved away from the profanities and lyrics that in no way enhance the positive influence in my life I have seen a change of heart, a space has been created and the barrier broken down. I don't know that I will ever fully give up a good, deep beat but things have changed and I am excited.

In other news, my wonderful parents secured me somewhere to live next year! My mom is so good to me, going all the way to Ottawa to look at places for me. It was a strange emotional sequence: excitement, guilt, sadness, thankfulness. The guilt and sadness is because it is so opulent and I could have insisted that we get something smaller and older and saved money. However, it was so pretty and the windows captivated me. I have to remind myself to be grateful and appreciate that my parents have worked very hard to be able to give my somewhere amazing to live! You can be sure that visitors will be welcomed with open arms. 

The rest of the day involves running, pizza making, talking to my mother and grandmother, and helping to host a large group of guests this afternoon/evening.

Happy Mothers Day!

1 comment:

  1. We are happy to do it for you, knowing you have somewhere safe and lovely to live and study. Love always

    ReplyDelete