Monday 25 April 2016

Down the Canal

My computer was being fussy yesterday so I didn't get to post but here it is.

On Saturday I finally ventured to the Palmarium hotel (home of so many lemurs). I say finally because it is a very popular weekend excursion and one that most people who have been in Madagascar for 16 months would have already done. However, because I am content to stay close to the ship, it has never been necessary. That all changed when a friend from head office came to visit. We set up a small group and off we went. The boat ride to the hotel was beautiful. Fantala was finally fading away and our freedom was given back to us. There was a time when we couldn't stray too far from the ship just in case things worsened with the cyclone and the the ship needed to pull out of port.

I had the pleasure of some wonderful company. We were 6 all together and I only knew one person before we left. Everyone seemed to get along quite well but it is always disappointing when you realize that there are so many fabulous people on the ship and there is a strong possibility you are missing out on getting to know someone that could become a great friend. Anyway, we got to see lemurs and hike around the jungle/forest. I have to confess that a lemur jumped on me and I instantly started crying. The fear of rabies has been instilled in me because I hear the crew nurse talk about it every week in new crew orientation.


Traveller's Palm - If you put something between the areas where the branches connect, to make an opening, water comes pouring out!



The pictures say it all. I had a great trip (apart from the lemur trying to get me shipped home to have incredibly expensive rabies shots).


No comments:

Post a Comment