Sunday 13 March 2016

Bellyache

Each week is so crazy and emotional, and this one is no exception. It started out with some really heavy feelings of frustration and sadness but ended with happiness and lots of laughter. This is what I wrote earlier in the week when I was feeling very serious...

Often times, there is so much of what seems like injustice in the system that I just want to throw myself off of deck 8. I certainly would not be doing so to end my life but rather to relieve some stress and have a lot of fun. I can say that I certainly miss cliff diving and the fresh water of Lake of Bays. There is a constant battle between what is right and what must be done. There is not a flawless formula to making everyone happy and maintaining a level of fairness that would satisfy any arbiter. That being said there are many people trying, to their detriment, to make the whole machine work for the benefit of the organization. When my exceptionally strong sense of justice takes over, I am a wreck. I feel powerless to what is happening and I cannot provide a logical explanation to those who suffer at the hands of the exceptions. Despite my sometimes antipathetic tendencies, there is something that boils inside of me and I cannot contain the emotions or the opinions that accompany it. This is something I need to work on because an emotionally charged lawyer may not be the best way for me to try and make a name for myself.

I want people to feel valued and not to stake their worth on what other people do or say. How can it be, that all of the good things can easily be erased by one error, one misstep, or one flaw? As the minutes pass and the memories accumulate, I am left to think about what matters and what doesn’t, what I think is right and what seems to be wrong.

The good news is that the seriousness was later replaced with laughter. Lots of incredible laughter.   Friday night I stayed off the ship at a hotel in town with two wonderful ladies to celebrate some upcoming nuptials (not my own- don't jump to conclusions). We ate very well, watched movies, played boggle, and had some very interesting conversations. When we came back Saturday afternoon I quickly started to make some cupcakes that I had been commissioned to create and quickly became obsessed with one particular cupcake that I thought was really pretty.


After that little photo shoot I attended a comedy event on the ship full of skits, videos, and silliness. I got to participate as a team member that was part of "Minute to Win It". My weekend is currently being wrapped up with an amazing dinner of quinoa patties with cheese, lettuce, cucumber, and avocado. I still have church service to attend, and will hopefully connect with my family so there is still opportunity for learning and smiles.

That's all I've got. Have a beautiful week!

1 comment:

  1. Your experiences are very thought provoking, thank you for giving me something to think about. That cupcake does look especially delicious!

    ReplyDelete