Friday 25 March 2016

Pre-Easter

Yesterday was an incredible day because so many out of the ordinary things happened. I got to have my teeth cleaned and the hygienist was impressed with my lack of calculus and said that I must floss. I couldn't let her think a lie so I have to confess that I don't ever floss. She was puzzled but said I must brush well and have good body chemistry. Then, the internet went down around 2:30 so my department became useless, as we rely on the internet for our main program and e-mail to get things done. So I spent the better part of my afternoon socializing, and even got to accompany the assistant purser on a field trip to immigration to pick up some passports. I got to go outside during the workday! That never happens. Just in case you were concerned, I did ask my boss for permission first. Then I had a really great conversation with my bunk mate. We don't chat very often and when we do it is just the basics like "how was your day?" Yesterday we talked about struggles and how much she enjoys working with the VVF ladies but their stories are so difficult to tell because people can't see it. We talked about how she, along with a member of the communications team is taking a patient home today. A little girl that will never appear in Mercy Ships marketing material because her tumor was on her bum and how people thought that the surgery couldn't be done on the ship and how the mother was extraordinarily excited when the surgery was over. It was so encouraging! She also thanked me for what I do and expressed that she struggles to sit behind her desk and deal with paperwork. She said she hears people complain about HR (I thought it might happen but part of me thought it didn't) and how she feels bad for us. I got my feet washed in a Holy Thursday service. I just went to check it out and someone very enthusiastically asked if she could do it for me. I told her my feet were smelly so it might not be a good idea. My smelly feet didn't dissuade her. This woman, who I only know from passing in the corridor, said so many amazing things that touched my heart. She thanked the Lord for me sense of justice. She was gentle and kind. When she was finished she said that I was going to do great at law school. The peace I felt was overwhelming and I was so grateful for that experience. I hadn't gotten my workout in so I was going to put it off to Friday but I decided to get in the pool and I had exactly 20 minutes before the pool closed, just what the training plan called for. Those 20 minutes made my day complete and my fingertips very wrinkled.

Today I got to help set up for the arrival of 50 orphans that are going to get to see the ocean and the ship for the first time. If you want to know more about that you should read this blog post and watch this video. The level of teamwork was amazing and what many thought would take much of the day, was done in just one hour. I sat in Good Friday service and cried. The sound of people nailing their petitions to the cross was sobering. That is what it sounded like, and worse. I cried and cried but the person sitting beside me put her arm around me and gave me comfort. I am not alone and I will be okay (even if I am not right now) and you will be too. I can't wait to see what else this weekend has in store.

1 comment:

  1. Mercy Ships may not post about the baby, but Dr Sherif Emil did! (With pictures)
    http://www.thechildren.com/news-and-events/latest-news/dispatches-africa-mercy-5-it-takes-mercy-ship

    ReplyDelete