Saturday 11 April 2015

Learn from an Expert

I'm giving myself a pass for not posting a blog last week because I was home, and enjoying the snow! I may have been one of the only people that was happy about having snow in April, but it was a nice gift for me.

What else happened? 

Well, I got to visit with my family, which was the most important thing. Something that I thought about quite a bit were the elders in my life; the wisdom they have, their experiences, and how their value is often disregarded. I got thinking about this because I spent a really fun day with my grandparents (my brother made an appearance) making Easter bread. 






Also, I was sitting in mass on Good Friday, and the priest made a point to say that people often don't make time for elderly family members. They are often neglected, and left in nursing homes, only to be visited a few times a year. I am sure there are a ton of different circumstances that lead to those situations, not all of them easy or straight forward, so I can't generalize, but that makes me sad. 
My grandparents know SO much! I love to hear their stories and hear about all the adventures and trials they had in Italy and since arriving to Canada. I admit that sometimes I hear the same story multiple times, and I just don't want to hear it again. I am also guilty of not going to visit because I know I will get roped into eating, or staying for something, and I am so consumed with all I have to do that I don't want to make that a priority. That leaves me feeling guilty and awful (which I should). So, this is my thought: make time. I love my grandparents so much, and I know for sure they love me, so I will love them as best as I can, and try and learn as much from them as I can. 
That goes for non-family members as well. Sure, we have lots of newfangled technology, but there are somethings that are just tried and true. 
That being said... GO LEARN SOMETHING!

Potentially a little out of left field, but I wanted to put that out there. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. very well said, we do, in our culture, undervalue our elders, it is time to change that!

    ReplyDelete