Sunday 7 December 2014

'Twas Three Weeks Before Christmas



The gangway all decorated with garlands and lights!

Christmas is coming!!!

How do I know? Well besides the whole calendar thing, I got cookies in my shoe, Sinterclaas came, and we had a Winter Wonderland! Now for an explanation...

Sinterclaas (St. Nicholas) is a tradition that the Dutchies on the ship carry out. As an aside, I have been informed that Germans also celebrate Sinterclaas. Anyway, you put your shoe (only one) outside your door and Sinterclaas' assistant a.k.a. Black Peter (don't ask, it is a point of contention) delivers treats to your house. Generally kids will also put out a carrot for the horse. Typically there are huge chocolate letters and marzipan involved. There is also a big televised parade that is broadcast throughout the Netherlands (Santa Claus parade anyone?) Thanks to the serious efforts of many dedicated Dutchies on the ship we had little bags of spiced cookies in our shoes in the morning. They were baking ALL day! It was insane and smelled absolutely delicious if you went anywhere near the crew galley. Think 14 pounds of tiny, button sized, hand rolled cookies. Wow! Anyway Sinterclaas arrived to the ship via Tuk Tuk (how nice of him to embrace the Malagasy culture) and gave the children a gift, only after they sang a song, or performed a trick.

Then on Saturday, there was a really awesome craft and food fair that allowed all the crew to enjoy the hard work and talents of our fellow crew members. I went to evening mass and didn't return to the ship until 7:30. At that point there were already vendors that had sold out! It had only started at 7:00!!! Oh man, people really know what they like. There were cookies, cupcakes, chai tea, donuts, smoothies, apple turnovers, jewelry, greeting cards, a photo booth, snow cones, Christmas ornaments, and much more! I thought long and hard about signing up to have a booth and decided against it for a couple of reasons: 1. I already had cupcakes that I had been commissioned to make for that day. 2. I knew the crew galley would be FULL of people preparing treats and I don't work well with others, or in perceived chaos. 3. I really wanted to attend Saturday evening service. 4. My heart wasn't excited about making anything in particular, and without love it just isn't the same. I do intend to make some confections to distribute on Christmas Eve. That way I can make whatever I choose, on my own terms, and there is no pressure to produce anything specific. I am thinking the questionably named "Christmas Crack" because who doesn't like that? I have a ton of graham crackers that I could make it with, instead of saltines. It doesn't require many ingredients (all of which I can procure here), and it is easily packaged/stored. Whoop! Already excited about it.

Then this morning (Sunday) I went down to worship service in the ward. It was great to actually see patients and be able to sing with them and see the joy on their faces as we all thanked God together! No pictures allowed, sorry folks.

Earlier in the week we had a Malagasy cultural evening on the dock. The staff development manager had organized locals to come and set up stands to sell hats, cards, souvenirs, food, and there was even a dance team! We had our dinner set up outside (thank you to the galley and dining room staff, because that was a lot of extra work for them). I absolutely adored seeing everyone outside, eating, laughing, and just enjoying each other's company. Sure, that happens in the dining room all the time, but somehow being outside made it less stressful and intimidating, and far more fun and carefree.



Yup, the lady in the front, centre, is balancing a bottle on her head... while dancing. Skills


1 comment:

  1. I used to get Sinterclaas presents from the family next door on Bartonville! Fun! Hey, you said you weren't going to evening mass anymore - hope you were with someone! Love you.

    ReplyDelete