Saturday 27 September 2014

Roll with It

So shortly after I published my last post I heard the audible chime over the ship's pa system that indicates an announcement is going to be made: "Dolphins on starboard side". I had my camera this time so I got up there and got some pictures to share!




As of yesterday we are in some rougher seas. I was feeling pretty strong but I think a combination of lack of sleep and way too much rocking has caused me some discomfort. Yesterday one of the biggest tilts that caused shelves to topple, furniture to move, and children to slide across floors was 21 degrees. Doesn't sound like much to you? Well consider a treadmill if you will. You start at 0 incline and every level you increase is generally 1%. I don't think it even goes to level 21, does it!?
New ship term: listing. It means tilting to one side or the other. Roll is the actual side to side movement. How many degrees before you don't come back? I'm not sure; I think it depends on the ship. One of the other crew members was talking to her grandpa, who was in the US Navy, and apparently he was aboard a ship whose angle of list got to 45 degrees and the ship manged to right itself. I'm not worried but it does mean sandwiches for lunch and dinner because there is no way the galley crew can cook in these conditions.

Last night I took place in a tradition that happens on all the sails: sock golf! First you need to make your sock into a ball (sock balls are an art so I definitely enlisted some help). Then you throw your ball from the tee box and try to hit the paper that represents the hole. It was pretty hard and the course was challenging! There were lots of stairs involved that made things especially difficult. Good news is we had fun and no one was crazy competitive so I didn't feel bad when I didn't do well.



Arrival in Cape Town is still Monday (September 29). Then we start organizing for all the PR events and taking on new crew members. Busy, busy!

But until then this is what the rest of the sail is expected to look like...




It does have its moments though...


Have a nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment