Monday 4 August 2014

Guess who's back?

Everyone arrived back from Haiti safe and sound, with a few stragglers (that customs line in Miami is a challenge). Haiti was far more beautiful than I had imagined and did more for my life than I think I realize. We have some fantastic photographers in our group so I left the picture taking to them. All the photo cred goes to Walter Pretorius; thanks Walter! Here are a few shots:

The Church


Going back to my farming roots

These guys walk around the ground with their guns really casual. They even have them beside them in the cafeteria. Apparently they usually just shoot rabid animals and not people (I asked).  

Church on Sunday

Once you're in Church you'd better stay until the end!


Building a section of the wall. A wall around your property in Haiti is a sign of legitimacy so they have been working on it, but the property is so big and they work at a fairly leisurely pace so it will be over a year before they are completely done. These Haitian workers were so meticulous and that wall was perfectly level; we need to get some of them to Canada! We had a pretty good time even though there was a bit of a language barrier. I now know some Creole!

We went to get some gravel from a nearby town and the kids were loving it!

Making progress


How cute is this little girl?!

We got to go to the beach!


A child in Ona Ville got his hands on someone's sunglasses

Praying in Ona Ville

Ona Ville didn't even exist until AFTER the earthquake. There are thousands of people in that area.

The travelling zoo as some called it. We were the animals!

The turkeys on campus. They went everywhere; in the cafeteria, in the kitchen, to church...
Tomorrow I leave Texas and head to the Canary Islands to meet the ship and then in a couple of weeks we head for Benin! There are a serious number of flights in my future starting tomorrow night at 8:10pm and continuing until 9:40pm on August 6. I am tired just thinking about it. Let's hope everything happens the way it should; without any drama.
Thank you for reading, loving, sharing, thinking, giving, and all the other things you all do for me that I don't know about!

1 comment:

  1. Wow what an adventure. You'll never forget the difference you're making!! We pray for you everyday.
    Love Uncle Doug and Aunt Val and James and Sophie

    ReplyDelete