Tuesday 26 August 2014

Crests and Troughs

Since I am on a ship I feel compelled to use marine nomenclature whenever possible, hence the title.


Educational and entertaining, what more can you ask for in a blog? 

I titled the blog crests and troughs because yesterday I had a day FULL of them and it got me thinking about what I see as the good parts and the more difficult parts of living on the ship. 

CRESTS
- There are some absolutely wonderful people here that are full of life and are very caring. I love that feeling you get when you are speaking to someone and you just feel great peace. I had a conversation yesterday that gave me that feeling, and it is nice to speak to someone who is actually interested in listening to what you have to say.
- Human interaction! HR means many different things to everyone but here I am so excited to see people coming in and out of the office freely. At this point where the paperwork is light, it is nice to see people and get to learn more and more names. At first I though I would never be able to remember all of these names but day by day, after multiple introductions, I am starting to get a few. It is always funny to talk to people and see them try and inadvertently look at your crew badge to get your name. I am trying to resist the temptation to do that because I know how it feels when people do it to me. 
- If you give me a badge, a key, and a lanyard I feel SUPER important. Really, the feeling of having something that shows belonging around my neck gives me joy. What can I say? I'm a simple girl.

TROUGHS
- Because people have had to change their travel plans based on the location of the ship I have had to send LOTS of amended arrival notices. I know this is out of my control but I can just imagine people on the other end of my e-mails thinking "oh man, not another one from that crazy HR facilitator". Slightly irrational perhaps but I have a complex about making mistakes, so having to resend makes it seem like a mistake. Last week I felt worse about this, but this week I am just doing my best to make sure every detail is correct for the moment. 
- There are some people who you just don't connect with, no matter how many times you try. Yesterday I had a conversation that completely drained my self worth, I got up feeling terrible about myself. I know that I need to work on not placing my worth in the hands of other people. I also need to stop convincing myself that I need to be friends with certain people based on age or a single similar interest. It is also hard for me to come to terms with the fact that it is okay to just be an acquaintance and say hello in passing.
- Even with all of these people around, wonderful as they are, there is just something about talking to a friend who knows you. Someone who knows your personality, what you have done, and where you have come from so that you can vent without judgement and with understanding on the other end. Relationships are hard for me, so to have a friend like this on the ship may take until I am getting ready to leave. I can always try to pick up the phone but time differences and other people having lives (go figure) puts a damper on that option sometimes. 
- People drive me nuts. For no particular reason sometimes people will rub me the wrong way. However, I am fully aware that what is bothering me about them is completely ridiculous and not something that should be affecting me in any way whatsoever. This is such a problem for me and has been even before I got to the ship. On the ship it is slightly more challenging because I can't find a space to just let out whatever frustration, or anger seems to be troubling me so I just hold it in, and eat my feelings. Bad news. 

Anyway, thank you for putting up with my rant. Now that it is on the internet for all the world to see, I hope I didn't divulge too much information or make anyone reconsider their interest in Mercy Ships (the good stuff really does outweigh the bad, I'm just noisier on the bad days).

No comments:

Post a Comment