Saturday 14 June 2014

What happened this week?!

What happened this week Marina?
Well, let me tell you... I don't remember!
There was SO MUCH information that was handed to us that I probably won't remember everything at this moment but I am hoping when I need it the info will come to me. 

We were in the classroom all week this week learning about the Mercy Ships organization, hearing AMAZING stories from people who work and have served on board one the ships operated by Mercy Ships. I learned that you aren't allowed to call it a boat, people are touchy about that. The reason is this: you can put a boat on a ship but you can't put a ship on a boat. Got it! 

I started practicing my French with a program called Duolingo (it's pretty fun and when I get bored or frustrated with French I switch to Spanish). 

I also got to learn more about my job specifically. I will be the HR Facilitator for the staff who are part of patient services, 116 in total! The good news is that I will, hopefully, get to know a lot of people on board by name. The three other facilitators are responsible for technical, general, and surgical positions.
Then there is an HR assistant that is in charge of all the housing assignments on the ship. I was told that is super top secret because it is such a point of contention for many people on the ship. I was also told that the staffing plan is like a huge puzzle and I just got a big smile on my face and said that I LOVE puzzles! This might work out very well. 

Friday night got pretty crazy around here. This is what happened:


Yup, I made a fort and climbed up the pole in the middle of our room. One of my roommates was laughing because she said that it was very different from how she spent her Friday nights when she was  in her 20s! I explained that I have never been a conventional 20 something and that this was a good time for me. Clearly I am already very desperate for privacy and am getting so antsy that I am climbing "the walls". 

Today I slept in until 9:45! That is impressive considering I have been waking up at 6:30 everyday. Then I cleaned the bathroom which was gross but very fulfilling because it really looked and SMELLED much cleaner once I was done!

So exciting right?!

Tonight we are going to a BBQ at the home of one of the Mercy Ships employees that lives about 30 minutes from the headquarters. Tomorrow I am getting a ride to Catholic church and then have the afternoon free. 

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing that the bathroom looked and smelled better after you cleaned it because I believe that is the point! As for climbing the post, I guess that is the same as climbing the walls and you have been known to do that at home, so I guess not much has changed! Glad to hear you are learning and doing, keep it up. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete