Wednesday 30 April 2014

And so it begins!

Written on Friday, April 18, 2014

I am writing today, Good Friday, but you won't see this until who knows when. I figure I should start putting my journey into writing before I forget all the things that I am thinking.
I have been accepted as a volunteer on the Africa Mercy! I will be a member of the HR department (I will post details on what my days are like once I get into the swing of things) for a term of 24 months.
This exciting news was starting to weigh on me because I needed to tell people in a specific order and the weight was finally lifted off my shoulders last night! My favourite brother is generally the most level headed person in our family, so I had to pass this life development by him first and get his advice about how to present it to the rest of the family. However, he was galavanting around Costa Rica so I had to wait for him to get back. Thankfully we got all caught up last night, and as I had hoped, he was very supportive and encouraging. He even said the big number I have to fundraise is doable and would help however he could! I know, he is such a good brother. He's mine, get your own!
I have to be in Texas by June 6 for On Boarding (training before you board the ship) so that means I don't have a lot of time to get everything sorted out. I have already gotten 3 of my 5 shots and the travel medicine doctor was kind of in awe of how many malaria pills he had to prescribe. I am brainstorming fundraising ideas, getting my passport renewal sorted out, and making sure I have a wardrobe to suit African temperatures while still conforming with the Mercy Ships dress code (I'd say most of my wardrobe is pretty modest but having to have knees covered eliminates a lot of things). Then off to Haiti for field training from July 13-30. Then back to Texas and off to the Canary Islands to meet the ship. Then off to Guinea!
Now I just need to tell the rest of my family! That will have to wait until after Easter. I want to enjoy everyone's company without anyone starting to worry about my impending departure.
This passage has stuck with me throughout Lent and I think it will be great to keep in mind on this journey and for life in general.

Phillippians 2:1-11
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death
        even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.






No comments:

Post a Comment